Water permit for cultivation

Water Permits for Cannabis Cultivation


    Permits aren’t an Issue with Pioneer Water Tanks

    Our engineering packages and wet-stamped cover letters are configured per project where permits are required.

    We offer water storage for fire protection with firefighting adapter options and can help with the approval process.


    Pioneer Water Tanks are approved for use in California for drinking potable water storage, irrigation, fire protection and more.

    If your property needs water capacity because your current needs aren’t sufficient, our systems can comply with the permitting process and can include engineering packages by the project.


    Water storage tanks need a permit in California when it has a capacity of 5,000-gallons or more. Local County Planning and Building Departments handle the permit application and inspection process, with the option of including other agencies (Public Works, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, etc) for comment.


    Water storage for fire protection requirements is based on the local fire authority. The majority of fire departments in California are associated with a fire protection district that manages inspections, permits, enforcement directed by the local County Fire Chief.

    The water storage needs are inspected and required by the County fire and building codes, fire sprinkler requirements, fire flow standards, and estimated property needs.

    Rainwater catchment systems collect run-off from rooftops which is then stored for later use. Since collecting rainwater in this way does not require additional state permitting, it is a cost-effective solution to meeting some of your water needs. It is also encouraged by the California Regional Water Quality Control Board as well as most local authorities in charge of cultivation permitting.


    > See Humboldt County Encouraging Rainwater Harvesting as a Water Source

    Cannabis cultivators are encouraged to use appropriate rainwater catchment systems to collect from impermeable surfaces (e.g., rooftops, etc.) during the wet season and store stormwater in tanks, bladders, or off-stream engineered reservoirs to reduce the need for surface water or groundwater diversions.

    – -(https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/cannabis/cannabis_policy.html)

    Permits for Cultivation

    The permitting process for cultivation was developed to ensure that the individual and cumulative effects don’t harm the environment. There are five types of permits: cultivation, processing, manufacturing, distribution, and nursery. The type of permit that you have, along with the parcel of land will decide the type of water permitting is needed or not.

    Three main steps to legalize your farm:

    Register your farm.

    The following state agencies issue licenses:

    Department of Food and Agriculture: Cultivation.


    Department of Public Health: Manufacturing.


    Department of Consumer Affairs: Distribution, Testing, and Retail.


    Apply for a permit locally based on local requirements and the type.

    For outdoor and mixed-light cultivation area permits, documented current water rights or other non-diversionary sources of irrigation water (i.e. municipal, public utility or permitted well) must be included for a permit.

    Meet all Performance Standards

    Click on the Activity to See Possible Permits

    Movement of earthen materials in, or alteration of, the bed and/or banks of a watercourse.

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

    • 1602 lake and streambed alteration agreement (LSA) (link)
      • California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW)
    • 401 certification North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (NCRWQCB) (link)
      • 404 certification US Army Corps of Engineers

    Clearing, grading and/or conversion of land

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

      • 3-acre conversion (link)
        • CAL-FIRE
      • Construction Stormwater General Permit (link)
        • NCRWQCB
      • Grading Permit

    Structural development

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

    • Building Permits
      • County-based building permits

    Water diversion from hydrologically connected waters of the state and/ or storage

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

      • 1602 LSA (CDFW) (link)
        • California Department of Fish and Wildlife
      • Statement of Use (SWRCB) (link)
        • California Department of Fish and Wildlife
      • Appropriative Water Right (SWRCB)  (link)
        • State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) Division of Water Rights
      • Building permit if the storage tank is over 5,000 gallons
        • Permitted by the County, We help with permits

    Waste Discharges resulting from Cannabis Cultivation or operations with similar environmental effects

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

        • General Wavier (link)
          • NCRWQCB, The North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board

    Human Waste Facilities, including outhouses and composting toilets

    Applicable Permits for Activity:

        • Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) (link)
          • SWRCB
          • Counties’ Environmental Health Departments


    Pioneer Water Tanks include a 20-year warranty on the tank and tank liner.



    Our AQUALINER® Fresh tank liner is NSF-61 certified for drinking water storage.



    Our tank liner is guaranteed to keep your water clean without BPA leaching.


    We offer a full line of firefighting nozzle and adapter options, manufactured to NFPA 22 requirements.


    We’re here to provide water storage solutions for the cultivation industry that aligns with state requirements.

    Our BPA-free water storage tanks are designed to your needs with cost-efficient capacities approved for drinking water, irrigation and fire protection.

    Tank Link


    Wall Height

    10,000-Gallon Water Tanks15′ 5″7′ 2″
    15,000-Gallon Water Tanks19′ 9″”7′ 2″
    20,000-Gallon Water Tanks22′ 0″7′ 2″
    30,000-Gallon Water Tanks26′ 4″7′ 2″
    40,000-Gallon Water Tanks30′ 9″7′ 2″
    50,000-Gallon Water Tanks35′ 2″7′ 2″
    65,000-Gallon Water Tanks39′ 6″7′ 2″
    100,000-Gallon Water Tanks39′ 6″10′ 7″